Friday, May 29, 2009

The Moderate/Radical Paradox

After many years of (sorta) maintaining blogs with little consistency, mixed with political rants and a little too much personal information, I've decided to start a blog that's sole purpose is to express my moderate radical viewpoints.

I consider myself radical, because I believe that we live in a system that needs drastic, revolutionary change. I believe that progress will never come if we do not seek out the roots of injustice within intersecting capitalist, racist, xenophobic, sexist, and heterosexist systems (hereafter "the systems"). I believe that the intersecting systems are the roots of injustice, and their historical and structural flaws, combined with (and created from) human nature, have created society's to the ills of society.

I consider myself moderate for a few reasons. I live in a monogamous, same-sex relationship, conforming to the relationship/family model that is conservative in nature and practice. I have been in many activist groups that have attempted to eradicate themselves of structural inequalities only to fall prey to other inequalities (or simply lust for power, i.e. racism within radical feminism), or find themselves unable to accomplish much, thus I do not believe that so-called "radical" groups are the key to revolution. I believe that people have the right to their own opinions, regardless of how they may contribute to the perpetuation of the system. I believe that radical social action, such as sit-ins, rallies, marches, etc., no longer hold much validity within larger society, and only serve to energize the people who are taking part in the action (which, I believe, is important). I believe that abortion is bordering on something immoral, but I also believe that my viewpoints on this issue are personal and morality-based, and therefore have no place in the law. I am very supportive of the Pro-Choice movement, but I believe that it lacks a proponent that takes morality into account. I believe that the only way change will happen is through a safe environment where people are allowed to have their opinions, be exposed to others' opinions, and develop relationships of tolerance and acceptance of each other.

I believe that the drastic revolutionary change we need will not happen within my lifetime, because most revolutions end up shifting oppression instead of eradicating it. I believe in the power of personal relationship building, as I believe that honest personal relationships are the most powerful tool we have in opening people up to wider viewpoints.

The paradox of my moderate radicalism is confusing, and I still have a hard time explaining it. I hope later posts help to express my viewpoints in a way that people can understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment